Saturday, September 4, 2010

Percolator

My current hotel room is set up like a small apartment with a small kitchen in the back. The cabinets are full of pots, pans, dishes and what not. I was also lucky to find a small coffee percolator (see previously here). Yes, this is yet another post about coffee. But, please, this is Ethiopia after-all.
One of my colleagues highly recommended I try Eliana Coffee, made and produced in Ethiopia by TAR Trading. That evening we went to the market and he bought me a 250g pack, insisting it was better even than the legendary coffee producer and cafe Tomoca (see here and here). The next morning, I packed the percolator with the dark, aromatic coffee grounds, filled the base with water and set it on the stove top. In a few minutes, I could hear the coffee bubbling up to the top chamber, lowered the heat, and then poured myself a cup. The first sip was overpowering; the percolator method makes a strong, non-paper-filtered cup of coffee, and should probably be served with copious amounts of milk and sugar. But preferring my coffee "as is", the next time I made it I lessened the amount of beans and it turned out much better. There's no doubt that Eliana Coffee makes a great product, although until I further refine my brewing skills, Tomoca still wins my top prize for getting an authentic cup of Ethiopian Arabica.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S