Saturday, September 11, 2010

What'll It Be?

It was pouring rain and everyone had retreated indoors. From my balcony I could see the entire street was empty except for a herd of sheep. Most of them stood still, seeming to ignore the rain pelting their coats. A few of them wandered off a couple yards before cars drove by and they flocked back to safety.

When the rain stopped, I decided to run to a nearby bakery to get a doughnut (yes, I found a place that sells chocolate covered doughnuts!). To get there I walked through a nearby street market. There were dozens and dozens of chickens, some in cages, squawking around momentarily before being bought up to make batches of doro wat, said to be the "national dish" of Ethiopia (see recipe here). A few chickens were looking at the world upside-down as people carried them home by their feet.

I turned a corner and passed a man selling skinning knives that looked hand-made. A car was rolling down the street in my direction, and as it passed me I saw on the luggage rack was a huge sheep tied down on its side raising its head up to look around. I reached the road where the bakery is located. A few people were selling sheep skins on the side of the road nearby. I entered the bakery thinking doughnuts never looked so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S