Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dished up

This past week I've become a little adventurous in trying Ethiopian food again. Encouraged by my coworker, S, who has been coming to Ethiopia for the past 30 years and can blend in like a local in his habits (visually, of course, he stands out like a sore thumb) but still remains cautious as a non-native, I ordered a platter of injera & kitfo at the center canteen last Thursday. It arrived moments later, the crepe-like injera bread spread out over the aluminum platter with a side of kotcho, a beige colored square made from a root known as "false banana", and a plastic white bowl full of cooked kitfo and the local dry cottage cheese sitting on top in the center. Most Ethiopians mix the kitfo and cheese and then dump it onto the center of the injera, sprinkle it with a red spice ("to kill germs"), and then devour it with their hands. I mixed my kitfo and cheese and then scooped it out of the bowl with the injera to avoid everything turning into a spongy goop when mixed all together.
I'd have to say, I truly enjoyed the meal. I don't know if it was because everyone around me was eating it and smacking their lips with pleasure, or if I have become slightly accustomed to the taste of the national dishes here, but I finished the entire serving. Then, in customary fashion here, I ordered a macchiato (espresso with milk) and chatted with the local staff about how "false banana" kotcho is good at lowering your cholesterol. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S