Monday, May 11, 2009

Miki & Mulaku

I wandered around the campus of Addis Ababa University, a calming place
of green lawns, trees and pathways. I saw a sign that pointed to the
Student Union and walked over there. Soon I was walking past a row of
five-story dormitories. Two students passed me on the way to their
building and said hello. I asked them if these were indeed the
dormitories and they said yes and asked me if I wanted to see inside. I
politely declined and thanked them for the offer, but I was just looking
around campus on my way out. They introduced themselves; Miki was a
foreign language major and spoke English and French, and Mulaku was
studying psychology. Addis Ababa University is the most prestigious in
Ethiopia and the students here were polite, friendly and would
eventually work in the upper echelons of society either here or abroad.
After chatting about a few places famous for sightseeing in Ethiopia
(they suggested Lalibela in January when they perform traditional and
ancient religious ceremonies) I thanked them for their time and headed
off again. It was nice to have a friendly and casual encounter like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S