Friday, August 27, 2010

16th Day of Ramadan

Yesterday I was speaking with one of the coordinators here who is taking
part in Ramadan. He said his family usually eats around quarter to 7,
around sunset, and then goes to worship. I asked him if the large meal
is shared with anyone outside his immediate family, and he told me, yes,
it is very common to invite neighbors as well as those who are less
fortunate. I told him that when I was in university, the Muslims on
campus invited me to their Ramadan dinner once. Maybe I was seen as a
poor person? He laughed (as intended) and said, no, it is a time for
community and share with those around you. "When we pray at the Mosque,
a rich man prays next to a poor man. There is no division in the eyes of
God."
Another colleague of mine piped in to ask if children also practice
Ramadan by fasting, but the coordinator said only when they are old
enough. His 10 year old son has started fasting this year, but will do
it only on alternate days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S