Thursday, March 5, 2009

Across the hall

I moved to the room across the hall yesterday since it's a little more
spacious and gets better sunlight. I moved in the evening when I got
back from the office and the housekeeper helped me carry things so I was
finished in less than five minutes. Up until last Monday, a girl from
New York had been staying in this room. There is less closet space, but
that's a good thing since they are located across from the foot of the
bed instead of along the side so it's easier to get to my clothes. The
bathroom has a tub instead of a standing shower and a mirror over the
sink. My previous room had a window over the sink and the mirror was
next to that above the toilet--more than a few times one could find
fallen shaving cream on the seat. In the new room, the desk and chair
are located next to a large window and as I write this I can see the sun
rising in the distance. The neighborhood is still quiet this time of
day, with few cars rolling down the side streets that lead up to the
main trunk road. I can faintly hear singing, possibly a prayer, coming
from somewhere nearby. In Ethiopia they begin counting time from 6:00am
so at this time it is considered 1 o' clock and I suppose activity will
start picking up soon. However, we are in the middle of Lent, 55 days of
fasting in Ethiopia, so people might be a little more sluggish until
they eat at 3:00pm (8 o' clock Ethio-time).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S