Thursday, March 5, 2009

Slow life in the fasting lane

Yesterday I stopped in the cafeteria at the center to have coffee with
one of the course coordinators and talk about his class. I arrived a bit
early so I grabbed a seat with our driver, Dereje, and one of the
cafeteria staff. They were eating a vegetarian rice dish and passed me a
spoon. "Eat, eat" they told me. I dipped my spoon in and tried the rice
mixed with vegetables and mild spices; not bad. Dereje told me that
during fasting the idea is to "make yourself weak". He said that strict
fasting meant not only waiting until 3pm to eat and refraining from
meat, but also to refrain from alcohol or even going to night clubs.
"During fasting, we should not have fun," he said. I don't think this
description would be used by any Orthodox missionaries, but Dereje
explained, "We should not expend excess energy during this time. It is a
result of not taking in excess energy from food or stimulants. So we
should remain a bit quiet and not move around too much." I've gotten to
know Dereje a bit so I know he is devout and says this in all
seriousness. At the same time, he is aware of how impractical this may
be for some people and adds the caveat, "Of course that is the idea, but
what people may practice is different." A few minutes later I am
drinking my coffee with the course coordinator and across the room I see
Dereje sitting with a few others, talking and sneaking in what looks
like a bit of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S