Friday, March 13, 2009

Every last drop

Today we have a senior official from Japan visiting the technology
center, so we had to look presentable, but the water at our guest house
is still not back on. Although there is no water coming from the taps,
management gave us each a large bucket of water and a scoop so we can
fill our sinks to wash our hands, etc. This morning I boiled some water
and mixed it with cold water until it was a good temperature and then
used this, along with a cloth and a bar of soap, to wash. I was careful
not to waste even a drop of water, especially the hot water I had, but I
was able to wash my hair and use some hot water to shave. Once I put on
my suit and tie, I doubt anyone could tell the difference from any other
day (not sure what that says about my usual hygiene, but...).
Anyway, we received the official and he was looking tired from his trip
from Japan to Kenya and now to Ethiopia. He wore a checkered shirt and
somewhat old-looking jacket and no necktie, so you could see his
u-shaped neck t-shirt sticking out. I don't mind if people want to look
casual, and even appreciate it when people who are at the senior level
dress down because, well, in that case, no one says anything about the
fact that my necktie doesn't match my only clean dress shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S