Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bahir Dar Ghion Hotel: the shower

Over the bathroom sink there is a glass shelf that loosely hangs on the wall, looking ready to fall down should you place anything on it, although when I do it manages somehow to hold its position. The toilet is in the middle of the room and the shower next to that across from the sink, with virtually no space in between them. The shower and the toilet are so close together that when you turn on the water in the shower, it practically goes straight into the toilet. The hot water comes out as a dribble at first so I turn the knob over all the way and something that will pass for a shower begins to happen. I step onto the metal basin that has a drain cut in one corner and the metal depresses with a shlunking sound with my weight. I take my bar of soap in one hand and wash, using it for shampoo as well, and thank my lucky stars that the water doesn't turn cold until I am rinsed off. By the time I'm finished, the entire bathroom is drenched in water but I step out and find the towel and dry myself off. I take a deep breath, turn on the hot water in the sink and am pleased to find enough hot water to shave. Somehow, afterward when I look in the mirror ready to go out for the day, I have managed to look like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S