Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ohayogozaimasu

This morning we had to go to the Hilton Hotel in Addis Ababa so I could
exchange money (USD to Ethiopian Birr). When we arrived at the front
entrance, an attendant opened the door to our car and gave me a bright
and cheery "Ohayogozaimasu!", which means good morning in Japanese.
Since it was only me (a white dude) and Dereje (a black dude) in the
car, the attendant (also a black dude) must have been somewhat
surprised, but since I nearly impulsively responded with
"Ohayogozaimasu" right back, and then continued with, "Eh, nande watashi
ga nihongo hanasu koto ga shiteiru?!" (=wait, how come you know I speak
Japanese?!), he asked, "Wait, are you Japanese?" I told him, "No, no,
but, well... kind of." Anyway, it turns out that he could tell from the
license plate on the car that it was used by a Japanese organization
since specific numbers are dedicated by nationality for international
workers. I should have told him, "Actually, I'm a 47."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S