Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Great Outdoors

In Harar, while meeting with my colleagues to discuss the field work
over a couple of beers at a bar downtown, we were sitting outdoors on
the sidewalk near the road. Sometimes a young child would walk up to us
with a box of chewing gum, cigarettes, tissues and other "goodies"
trying to make a sale. This is frowned upon at restaurants because the
managers don't want these kids disturbing their customers, and most
people will not buy anything from them on account of that (amongst other
reasons!). In any case, not only are there child goodie peddlers but
also young kids simply begging for change. As we were discussing work,
it was even more disturbing than usual and Dereje, our driver, told one
little girl to go away. When she didn't he signaled for the manager, who
came running out to shoo the kids away. Throughout the two hours we were
there, the manager had to come running out to chase away beggars a few
times, at one point running one guy down the street, for good measure I
suppose.
In general, I never give money to young kids or mothers with babies.
It's also heart-wrenching to pass by the crippled and maimed beggars in
the streets, but as most of my colleagues agree, caring for these
citizens is the job of any responsible government, and who are we to
relieve them of this very important duty. I have bought items from
street hawkers, such as week-old magazines, phone cards and other
miscellany, basically because they have an item I want and they are at
least trying to establish themselves. When I do so, I usually frequent
the same person, and even then, only those that don't hassle me; most
will at least call my attention, but if they follow me around at all,
they are quickly ignored. Children who try to follow a foreign visitor
around asking for money are usually shamed and shooed away by nearby
locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S