Thursday, January 14, 2010

Harar Peugot

The Peugot taxis in Harar are some 50 years old, but seem to be in good
running shape. They drive up and down the main strip that leads through
new town to the gates of the 'old town' with its narrow, winding
streets. The taxis are packed with passengers, 3 in the back and 2 in
the front with a driver. I started walking from my hotel toward old
town, trying to hail a taxi on the way, to no avail at first. However,
after a few minutes, I got lucky and saw a taxi with some space in the
back, so I motioned to the driver, he stopped and I climbed in. On his
dashboard he had a nativity scene, such as one might see at Christmas;
the kind where if you turn it over, you can make it snow. There was also
a Christian cross sticker on the windshield and, I then noticed, an
American flag hanging in his window. When we reached my destination, I
offered him 10 birr, since I would pay at least that in Addis just to
get in a taxi, but the driver said it would only be 5 and gave me change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S