Saturday, January 30, 2010

Laptop

Sometimes I wonder how I ever got any work done when I only had a
desktop computer. It's Saturday so housekeeping called my room and asked
if it was a good time to come make the bed, etc., so I grabbed my laptop
and headed down to the hotel restaurant. I ordered a soup and a sandwich
and began typing out the remaining sections of the training manual I've
been writing and revising for the past year. Sitting somewhere with a
view of outside, I always feel more clear-headed. The boredom of sitting
in an office or at the desk in my hotel room is so deadening that I tend
to escape my duties every 30 minutes or so to check my mail or current
events online. I can see why Starbucks capitalized on such things. In
the restaurant, munching French fries while I work, other hotel guests
stop in for their lunch as well. An man drinking a beer with his lunch
chats to someone in Italian on his cell, a couple sit at the corner
table and murmur to each other, the staff carry food out and sometimes
up to the rooms; somehow all the mundane action around me keeps me
focused on my work. The only downside is that the restaurant staff have
put on a continual loop of an instrumental mix of "My Heart Will Go On".
Luckily, I've come prepared and I put in my headphones. Sigur Ros, from
the mix my friend B sent me in the mail, moves my fingers across the
keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S