Sunday, January 17, 2010

Karibou

This afternoon I'm spending some time at Karibou Coffee, a cafe near the
Imperial Hotel and a short walk from my accommodation. Since Ethiopia
has an authentic claim to the origins of coffee (in the Kaffa region), I
pretty much give them a pass for shamelessly naming their cafe
"Karibou". In any case, it's better than the "Stack Bucks Coffee" I saw
in Harar.
I decided to order a coffee and milk, thinking I'd get a decent sized
cup of half coffee, half milk. Instead, I got a shot of espresso and a
mug of steamed milk. Instead of sending it back, I decided to give it a
try and it turns out to be a great idea. I like strong coffee, but
drinking even a shot of espresso can leave a lasting, bitter taste in
your mouth. So after a sip of the espresso, I spooned some milk foam on
top and stirred it in, then took another sip. I kept doing this,
gradually adding the non-steamed milk lower down, and sipping, until
about 1/4 of the shot was left. Then, I dumped the remaining espresso
into the cup of milk and had a nice cafe latte! Oh, did I mention they
also serve pretty great donuts? Twice as high as any donut at DD or KK,
this ring of fried dough was topped with chocolate and went great with
my caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S