Monday, February 23, 2009

Academy Awards

This morning I turned on the Academy Awards just as they were announcing
the best Foreign Language Film. I could hardly believe my eyes when I
saw the director and cast for the Japanese film "Departures" take the
stage. BBC World News had been predicting that the Israeli film "Waltz
with Bashir" or France's "The Class" were the contenders to win and
hardly gave Departures a mention. This past year I haven't seen many
films, including Departures, but of course it's on my must-watch list
now. I'm still baffled by BBC's description of the storyline that an out
of work cellist takes a job preparing the dead for burial. As far as I
know, everyone is cremated in Japan. Well, I'll watch it and see for
myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S