Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Indian restaurant

It's hard to beat certain American cities where people have immigrated
from all over the world and started restaurants providing authentic
cuisine from their former home, however I've found Addis Ababa also
offers an excellent variety of different foods. I've mentioned the
plethora of Italian restaurants already, and no one is surprised to hear
there are Chinese restaurants in every corner of the world. The Turkish
restaurant I went to last week was run by a Turk and the Indian
restaurant I went to last night was run by two men from India. I didn't
know what to expect from the Indian restaurant as we approached the high
wall that surrounded it, only the signboard visible announcing the name
of the restaurant, Ajanta, and below that "The Jewel of India". Inside,
the place was ornately but tastefully decorated. On one side was a
fireplace with a mantle above it that had wines from South Africa and
Australia prominently displayed (although I would later find no wine on
the menu). I had lentil soup, palak paneer, steamed rice and naan, and a
Sprite. The food was excellent and after dinner my co-worker M and I
discussed various places we've been around the world. He told vivid
stories of Bolivia, Hawaii, Australia and Bhutan and how at 18 he'd
never even considered going overseas at all. And now here was an
American and a Japanese sitting at an Indian restaurant in the back
streets of Addis Ababa discussing traditional musical instruments of
Bhutan, the Australian didgeridoo and circular breathing and recording
original music on cassette tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S