Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lonely, Lonely Planet

I just got back from the Hilton. This was part of my latest attempt to
find a travel guide, such as Lonely Planet, for Ethiopia. I had checked
two English language bookstores over the weekend, both of which were
full of textbooks and a selection of fiction, but neither had travel
guides of any kind. Thinking this was strange, I figured at least they
would have something available at the shops located within the posh
hotel Hilton. There are all sorts of souvenir shops selling Ethiopian
CDs and jewelery in addition to precious stones, earthenware and
fabrics; they even have novels and non-fiction bestsellers, but not a
single travel guide. There are also travel agents located in the Hilton,
but they didn't even have any information to offer. It seems such a
shame since Ethiopia does indeed have so much to offer, but in the
meantime I'm simply glad that I have people around here at the Center
that I can ask for good recommendations. So I will probably check out
the national museum sometime soon and also ask around to find out if
it's possible to get a tour of the presidential palace located smack in
the center of the city which apparently even has a Japanese garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S