Monday, February 23, 2009

Meaning of the word "teza"

Today my colleague was out of the office so I ate lunch with the
Ethiopian course coordinators. They speak English so communication was
no problem and I always enjoy hearing what they have to say. Today I
chatted with one of the guys that I hadn't spoken to before. I asked him
if he'd heard of the movie Teza and he said he had but hadn't seen it,
but I finally found out what the word "teza" means. Although he didn't
know the exact word in English, he explained like this: "You know, in
the morning, on the grass, there is a moisture... and by the afternoon
it is gone away." I understood what he meant immediately, but had to
think what the movie Teza had to do with dew. I asked him if there was
some metaphor in the word and asked him if he thought it could mean that
the hope we have in our youth eventually evaporates as we age. He said
maybe, but he'd have to see the movie. As you can tell, I'm quite
intrigued to hear what an Ethiopian native has to say about this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S