Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pirates

I went to the bookstore this afternoon and, as usual, waved off young
kids offering to polish my sneakers, newspaper boys selling the Amharic
daily news, and DVD pirates selling their wares. These guys always hang
out by this shopping center because there is a day spa, a bookstore and
Lime Tree cafe is there, which attracts fairly affluent people with some
time on their hands. Walking up to the entrance my ears are fill with
their calls, "Mister", "Hello", "Sir, sir!" I usually nod no and they
don't pursue it, but I have to admit I looked a little too long at that
Slumdog disc. He was a middle-aged guy with slightly graying hair. He
was dressed well but his clothes, after weeks (months?) of wear-n-tear,
were nearly blackened. "Sir, take a look. All good movies, very good,
guaranteed," and he put on his best smile. I told him no thanks, not
interested, but he came back trying a different tactic, "I also have
Ethiopian culture movie." Thinking I should ask him if he had Teza, the
Ethiopian movie I saw last week, since I'd probably never find it in
Japan, I looked sideways at him, but then he continued, "African weenie
and lady," and then lifted his shirt to reveal a few DVDs he had shoved
under his belt buckle, "Better than Hollywood." Almost laughing at the
misunderstanding, all I could do was put my head down. Now near the
entrance, I hopped up the stairs and past the guards stationed at the
front door of the shopping center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S