Friday, February 20, 2009

Zoro Zoro

Another new word in Ahmeric: zoro zoro. We've been having meetings all week and the Ethiopian guys often discuss things at length in Ahmeric before then discussing things with me and my colleague in English. Sometimes one person is particularly animate about his opinion and what seems like an argument breaks out, but in the end, everyone chuckles a little bit and calms down. At this point I can usually catch the word "zoro zoro". Afterwards I found out that this means something akin to "well, anyway..." and is said to move the conversation along to a new topic. Knowing this, during today's meeting, I found that after I heard zoro zoro once or twice, they were coming to a conclusion and would soon speak in English again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S