Sunday, February 15, 2009

Turkish food and bar

Last Friday I went with my coworker to a Turkish restaurant located
about 5 minutes from our guest house. There must have been 25 people
working there, which is a lot anyway but considering the size of the
place and number of customers was just overkill. Nevertheless, service
was fast and friendly and we tried Turkish pizza, called /pide/, and a
mix grill plate of assorted meats. We also tried ordering beer but the
restaurant didn't serve any alcohol. Being Friday night, after we
finished our food my coworker brought me to a popular bar in town.
It was dimly lit with tables scattered around the center filled with
lively groups of Ethiopians and sofas along the walls where couples were
cuddling. We grabbed a table near the bar and ordered gin & tonics and
took in the atmosphere. Music was playing but not anything I recognized
(local bands?) and the chatter around us gave the bar a trendy, popular
feel. We drank our cocktails and discussed music, cool day trips in
Japan and what there was to do on the weekend in Ethiopia. To our left
was a table of three with one girl leading the conversation and a guy
and a girl nodding in agreement. Behind us was a table of four--maybe a
double date but they were all speaking in the native tongue so I
couldn't make out what they were talking about. We looked over the menu
and I ordered an Absolute Citroen and tonic and we continued to chatter:
there was a wedding Saturday I could go to if I was interested and on
Sundays the Japanese Embassy and U.S. military played softball in town
if I was interested. As we talked, I overheard two guys at the bar. One
was an Ethiopian and the other was a white ex-pat who was bragging about
his grandkids. They had obviously just met because they left an open
seat between them and I couldn't help but to notice that the ex-pat had
gotten out pictures from his wallet, which caused me to scowl, but then
the Ethiopian guy started bragging about his own children and soon they
were telling each other how lucky they were and patting each other on
the back. We had finished our drinks and it was getting late so we
shuffled off and strolled back to the guest house. It was a nice look at
night life in Addis Ababa, and thanks to the cocktails I slept very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. It requires word verification to reduce spam, but should only take a second. Cheers, S